Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Supernanny, Dinners and Professional Husbands

Supernanny

I'm newly addicted. Jo Frost, aka "Supernanny", is my new hero.  True, I have long-since swooned over the likes of SuperMAN, but this Brit-chick is seriously amazing.  My kiddo isn't even born yet, but I am trying to absorb as many rules, tactics and strategies as I can manage.  From bedtime routines to house rules, to the naughty corner and handling over-scheduled days of school and after-school activities...this show is an hour-packed toolkit of wonders.  I even found out she has a book! A book! Sounds like the teacher's guide or answer-booklet that you would find at school....but it's for PARENTS. An amazing, Supernanny-filled book of wonders.  I must have this.  Someday.

My favorite, and hopefully never-to-be used technique is the bedtime routine.  This can be used if you fall into the trap of having your child(ren) sleep in your room night after night or if the kid has a serious excuse-filled up-and-out of bed phenomenon (that is, they won't stay IN bed after lights out).  It starts with your normal bedtime actions - PJs, toothbrush, storytime and the ever-needed "tuck-in" and goodnight.  The child may get up soon after, and the parent takes them back into bed and simply says "it's time for bed" and puts them back in the bed.  The second time, the parent simply puts them back in bed without saying a word.  This last step gets repeated over and over and OVER again until the child finally falls asleep/stays in bed.  It sounds exhausting, but, trust me, I've seen it happen and work on this show more than once. Amazing!  I hope I don't have to implement this ever, but at least I have the steps down.

Dinners and Professional Husbands

Today was a "major" night. I helped...helped...with dinner. OK, so, I warmed up some leftovers. In the world of cooking and/or helping, this is not the biggest deal.  But, I haven't made, helped, or done much of anything in the kitchen in over a month.  I have done SOME, but I am no longer making dinner each weeknight, like I normally would.  The minute I started getting morning (read: anytime) sickness, I left cooking to those of us who could stomach looking at/smelling food, and still be left standing to consume it.  Thus, my husband is starting to earn his PhD in food preparation.  Mind you, he is also minoring in dishes, cleaning, foot rubs, trash removal, tidying, and request-taking/meeting.  He may have also earned a boy scout patch in Christmas Tree removal. 

I have had a combination of nausea and exhaustion for what seems to be an eternity - and, Rich has seriously stepped up to the plate.  He claims he would rather do anything and everything than be sick - which is neither frustrating to me or in any way untrue.  Nevertheless, he has been on the ball, working all day, running in the freezing cold (marathon training), and coming home only to work all night to make sure that the house and his preggo-wife is taken care of. Did I mention the Bible Study leadership prep? It might be the hormones talking, but I think this deserves a big thanks!

So, my dearest hubby:


No comments:

Post a Comment